OCC Libraries are closed until further notice but services are available online. We are here to help.
RedShelf: Free Access to Some Textbooks
- Some publishers are offering free access through May 25, 2020.
- Not all texts are available but does include some currently used textbooks.
- Note students may not have access to these eTexts through the whole summer semester.
- Some texts are newer than ones on Library Course Reserve.
- Check with the OCC Raider Store https://occ.thecampushub.com/ to find out your textbook’s title, publisher and ISBN.
- Go to the RedShelf website https://www.about.redshelf.com/redshelfresponds
- Scroll down and click Access Free eBooks.
- Search for your book by ISBN or title.
- If you find your book, you may then need to set up a Red Shelf account.
- When you set up an account, follow directions for creating a password (not same as MyOCC username and password).
- After a few minutes you should see a verification email. Use a link in the Validate Your RedShelf Account email to confirm.
- You will get a 2nd email titled New Digital Materials Added to Your Library with a link you can use to access your text(s).
- Note there is a limit of up to 7 free books.
VitalSource: Temporary Free eTexts & Courseware
The Vital Source Helps program is making a number of etexts available for a limited time. You can borrow up to seven titles through May 25, 2020.
For students and instructors accessing Bookshelf for the first time:
- Go to https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com/user/registration
- Fill out the form in full, make sure to use your OCC email address, and select the Create button.
- They will send you a confirmation email. Confirm you account by finding the "Please verify your VitalSource Bookshelf account" email and select the "Confirm Your Email" button.
- Once you are in Bookshelf, select Explore at the top left to search and borrow up to seven ebooks.
Returning users can login with their OCC email and password created in the above steps at https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com/
Seven major publishers offer temporarily available courseware through May 25, 2020. See VitalSource for more details.
- Terms vary between publishers.
- Note students may not have access to the free courseware through the whole summer semester. Check publisher's terms.